Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sprinkles (by Sara)

Sprinkles. Little did I know that this tiny candy that we use on top of cupcakes and ice cream cones would bring such joy to the children of Haiti. Tonight, as we were listening to the children sing to us, I realized that living a life of restoration can come in the most simplest of ways- even through sprinkles. Tonight was our night with the children. We all were looking forward to tonight because of our ice cream party with the children. All the children lined up in a single file line. They first received their ice cream and then came to the "toppings line".  Chocolate sauce, caramel, then strawberry sauce, gummy bears, then finally at the end I was waiting to give them sprinkles. With huge smiles on their faces they kept saying, "Wow, oh boy- yeah!". They were so happy to receive their sprinkles. There were about 50 people all together and all I had was one container of sprinkles.

As everything was finishing coming through the line, the children came back to me for more sprinkles. "Yes, nice..... sprinkles... Yes nice, sprinkles...." they kept saying. boys 15 and even 17 years old were smiling so big and were so very happy to receive their sprinkles. As if the ice cream was already enough- the sprinkles kind of put the "wow factor" on it all.

 But then, the moment I was fearing would happen- did indeed happen. I had run out of sprinkles. I had no more. All that was left were the incredibly large smiles of the children eating their ice cream and happy to share this night in Haiti with us. Jenn shared with us that this was their first ever sundae! Perhaps I far too sentimental tonight because I am leaving Haiti tomorrow- but something great happened tonight for all of us on the team and Jesus and ice cream were all in the mix. One container of sprinkles equals probably about $1.49. One night of serving these children sprinkles is simply priceless.

As I head to bed tonight, I am so grateful for the opportunity to come to Haiti and take part in this restoration work. I am humbled and honored to know all these people and changed again  and again by living with them for the short time I was here. Sprinkles. Who ever knew they'd could mean so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment