Friday, January 27, 2012

Rebuilding With Roberta

I am currently sitting on the steps of what is the existing church here at the orphanage.  Cinder blocks nicely stacked together are stepped upon day in and day out, welcoming the littlest ones and the oldest ones to come and fellowship in the Lord.  Right beside me nestled against my arm is my new friend, Roberta.  We can't get beyond common greetings together due to the language barrier, so we sit in silence a lot.  Feeling the cool breeze blow through our hair and watching life unfold right before our eyes, there is something deeper happening.  For it is in these moments I am completely overwhelmed with the love and faithfulness of God.

Life is so different here, it happens so fast and yet unfolds with grace ever slowly as moment by moment one can look and see the glory of God in this place.  Every time I have closed my eyes this week in prayer and/or worship, I see Jesus.  Yesterday He was playing soccer with the children, laughing as they whizzed right past Him to score yet another goal.  Today He was in the classrooms with them, sitting amongst them.  And yes, He is here now with Roberta and I-just sitting, just being.  It is here in this place and in this moment that I feel the most peace, just resting with a new friend at the feet of Jesus.  Emmanuel, God with us.

The tattered tarp walls blow gently with each new breeze that passes through, and amidst the rubble and collapsed buildings I am reminded that God is making all things new.  Oh yes there is much work to be done here in Haiti, but I have seen so much of what God is doing here this week.  Hope has been restored, children are being rescued and loved well, buildings are going up and yesterday a woman was picking up trash from the creek that trickled down the street.  I wish you could be here, to see what my eyes have seen and hear what my ears have heard.  Let me finish by sharing last night with you.

It was late, everyone was exhausted.  There were over 50 Haitian children with a dozen or so Americans singing "And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us?" under the clear night with bright stars.  The glory of the Lord echoed in the air and hearts were stirred.  It was in that moment that my tear-streaked cheek turned to see children embracing adults and dancing together with such a jubilant innocence.  Yes, the church is being rebuilt here in Haiti.

Look out world, God is raising up a generation of children and youth who know and follow hard after Jesus...the love they have for Him and receive from Him is big enough and strong enough to break the greatest of strongholds that has held this people captive for so long.  God is at work here, Jesus is among His people and He will make His name and His glory known.  Thank you for praying, thank you for giving, thank you for being a part of the church that Christ is rebuilding to make it again His beautiful bride.

1 comment:

  1. Tara, That was beautiful. Made me cry in a good way. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete