Friday, March 30, 2012

"Home" by Dave Ferguson

We left home early Monday morning to catch a flight from Chicago to Port-au-Prince, Haiti with a brief layover in Miami.  I thought I was leaving home; but after being in Haiti for the last five days, I have learned that I didn't leave home at all.

When we arrived in Dargut, Haiti we were greeted by Chris and Jen Savini and Pastor Kesnel & Yannick Joseph.  Pastor Kesnel, a native of Haiti who after living twelve years in the U.S. as a successful businessman returned to his home country and founded One Family Christian Church.  This dynamic and growing church is also the home of 41 children in their orphanage and a school for 200+ students.  When Kesnel greeted me it was with a huge embrace and an explanation, "Welcome to One Family where we are all a part of the same family; which means you are home."  Over the course of this week I've heard him say that over and over again - sometimes to our group, sometimes to the 41 orphan kids him and his wife have adopted and sometimes to other church leaders.  The picture above is of one of three locations that are part of One Family Church; this one was located in Maissade, a small town in the mountains.  Upon our arrival Pastor Kesnel spoke to Pastor Jackson and his congregation in Maissade and reminded them, "We are all one family."  He gestured to his U.S. visitors and said, "Whether your skin color is dark or light, we are one family."

The Bible teaches us that a core part of our identity in Christ is that we are family.  We are God's children.  He is our Heavenly Father.  We are brothers and sisters.  Together we make up the family of God.

As this week comes to a close I've learned that I really didn't leave home.  Whether I'm in Chicago or Dargut, Haiti when I am with other believers I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment