Monday, June 20, 2011

Tears at Sunrise



I woke up early, before the sunrise.... it was my last day in Haiti and I couldn't leave without seeing one of the most beautiful scenes I know I can only find in Haiti. I grabbed some coffee, my Bible, and headed up to the "rooftop". There I sit in expectation, minutes ticking, eyes awaiting, heart beginning to wrestle with many emotions- my mind overwhelmed with thoughts of the week spent in Haiti. As I sit and watched from atop the building, I watched as the man across the field worked away trying to clear his field of rubble. A few people also passed in the street and roosters sang away their morning song. Recounting every trip I had taken in years prior to this island, I realized I have been blessed to see alot- and feel much more. God has given me such a blessing in my life to have met so many "alive" people from Haiti. With my heart overwhelmed with sadness because I knew I would be leaving Haiti in less than 5 hours- I outstretched my arms to heaven, in earnest prayer I asked God, almost pleased with Him- "God please, save these people- let your Glory reign over this nation"..... as I did so I looked to the east, the west, the north, and the south, I prayed in every direction that I could see- thought of every family, male, female, little boy or little girl- every soul on this island. It was as if for a moment I was crying out to God on their behalf and declaring without any doubt- "Father you reign, you are greater, your are awesome, your name be glorified amongst these people"..... and on and on my prayers went, on and on my tears fell, and on and on I sang. Then at last; dawn broke, the sun rose once again; shining brightly across the sky. I have seen many beautiful places all across the world- but nothing quite fills me with joy as the sunrise in Haiti.

What a powerful message the sunrise speaks of in Haiti, this being: God is faithful over and over- He WILL come! Just as I am writing this, I am reminded of a song we sing at church (and up to this point I did not realize it mentions a sunrise- how ironic!)

If you really want to know what happens when you take a trip to Haiti, if you really want a taste of the cry for injustice God could place on your heart- if you wonder the reason why tears are in our eyes as we leave Haiti, this song says it far too well:

As surely as the sun will rise
You'll come to us
Certain as the dawn appears

You'll come
Let Your glory fall as You respond to us
Spirit rain
Flood into our thirsty hearts again
You'll come
You'll come

We are not shaken
We are not moved
We wait upon You Lord
Mighty deliverer
Triumph and truth
We wait upon You Lord

Chains be broken
Lives be healed
Eyes be opened
Christ is revealed


The irony is, with outstretched arms, with heart yielded and broken before God- my prayer and dream for Haiti was "bittersweet". There was a part of me that cried because I truly love Haiti, and did not want to leave - yet the other side of me cried in joy at God's "awesomeness"! You see although we are not in Haiti, God's mission and movement amongst His people, His faithfulness and holy pursuit of the lost- His desire for justice continue everyday - whether we are there are not!

I cried, I still do when I consider the pain and loss, the despair and affliction my friends in Haiti go through. Yet, I rejoice and praise God when I see that above all else........... HE IS FAITHFUL!!!

He will come, as surely as the sun will rise, He'll come to His people! I still have so much to learn in this journey of being an Ambassador for Christ, I have alot of pride, alot of ugliness about me that God needs to restore- I'm humbled to be a part of His team, His mission, and His story. 


........... waiting for another sunrise............  - Sara 

No comments:

Post a Comment