Monday, May 16, 2011

Heaven and Hell

I've been a Christian my whole life, I don't remember not being one.  But I've also been known to question is there a god, is heaven or hell real, is this all make believe for grown ups?  Thankfully, God is big enough for all those questions.

After spending a week in Haiti, I don't think I'll ever have those questions again.  In an unfamiliar land, surrounded by unfamiliar sights and sounds, God showed up.  I got to see and experience even in the breifest of moments heaven and hell on earth.

Hell, that wasn't unexpected.  I've seen the images on the news, read articles in magazines, did research on the country before I left.  All that still doesn't prepare you for seeing first hand.  It's been over a year, and the fallen buildings, the rumble in the streets stands as a unintended memorial to what that day must have been like.  I saw tent cities, they are all over the city of Port au Prince.  It seemed anywhere they could find open space, a tent city arose.  Tent cities is really a misnomer.  Tarp cities would be a closer to reality.  These are places where a 10 year girl sells herself to survive.  Where reseveks, child slaves work, and befg for their keepers so that they can survive.  When we asked if police will enter them to patrol, the response was "no one goes in there".  Something as romantic and peaceful as a rainy night, even takes on new meaning.  Rain means no sleep, concern over keeping oneself and your possessions dry, and the coming hurricane season.  The chaos, and garbage, and lack of the staples of life are breath taking, heart breaking.  Not enough water, food or shelter to go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment