Friday, February 10, 2012

Distance

It usually happens this way- after I return from Haiti, weeks after I have said my "farewells", hugged my friends goodbye and parted ways (temporarily of course) with the team; after I am nestled back into the comforts of my own home, and find myself getting back into life's typical routine- I'm overwhelmed with homesickness. The distance between Chicago and Haiti by plane is only about 5 hours, but yet the reality of being able to live life there, with all of my life here begins to settle in. It's an ever present tension in my life- which as long as this God sized love for Haiti remains in my heart I am not really sure will ever go away. It might just be one of those facts of life I'll have to get used to. Unless of course one day I can really "go there".


Distance- what is it really though between here and there? It seems like yesterday I was playing "Lion and Chase" with the kids, I can still feel them touching my arms (pinching actually). I can still see their eyes full of joy as they look at me- waiting in expectation to sing more, play more, talk more together. I can still smell the food and the roads- and the smell of the fish market we'd pass occasionally. I can still hear the children singing, and laughing, and and asking me to hold them. I can still- so very much - feel Haiti within; almost as if I would just close my eyes long enough I could be back home; back to playing endlessly, back to caring and holding others, back to praying anytime for anyone without hesitation, back to singing and laughing - and back to speaking Creole as much as I'd like to. What is the distance anyway between there and here. I am not sure it is that far at all.

When I consider the example of Mary- the moment she chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and listen to him rather than being busy like Martha; the Bible tells us that Mary "treasured all of these things in her heart". Even after Jesus ascended into heaven- it was the the beautiful memories, the stories, the rare moments between her and Jesus she treasured within her heart which kept Mary full of hope and joy.

Even though I live with this constant tension of the "there and here", although tonight I cannot truly feel at home, I am full of hope and joy. Haiti is very much alive in many hearts throughout Chicago tonight as many Ambassadors, myself included, are pondering in their hearts the stories and words of the Haitian people.


We will not forget you Haiti; the stories you have told and the dreams you are still dreaming. We will not forget the past from which you rise, the hope in God you still proclaim, and the door you leave open for our return.

Haiti, tonight you are so close to Chicago. 




No comments:

Post a Comment